Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Refrigerator Pickles

This has been a weird year so far. Overall, everything is working out. I’m still a little sad I didn’t garden. Lucky me (us!), pickling cucumbers showed up at work yesterday! We are so lucky to have a gardening colleague with a case of the sharesies.

I wondered how I could make a small enough batch of pickles, and then remembered - my mom has been trying to sell me the recipe for refrigerator pickles for a whole lotta years. It was time to buy what she has been selling.

It’ll take a little longer to pickle – like.... probably weeks in the fridge... but this was a really fun way to use a half-dozen cucumbers!

Here goes:

Refrigerator Pickles
1 ½ c cold water
1 ½ cups sugar 
1 ½ cups cider vinegar
1 ½ tbsp dried onion flakes
¾ tsp salt
¾ tsp celery seed
½ tsp garlic salt
½ tsp onion salt
½ tsp celery salt
6 pickling cucumbers cut in ¼” slices


Mix all ingredients, except cucumbers, in a ½ gallon jar. Cover and shake til mixed. Pack in cucumbers. Put in fridge. Wait. Mom says that after a couple of weeks, she tastes one every few days til she decides they’re ready. She also says that you can easily substitute Splenda for the sugar.

The best part? ½ hour from start til finish – and the dishes were already washed!





Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home