Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Almond Meal Pancakes with Cherry Coulis

There have been periods of excellent nutrition habits in my life, and periods of less than excellent nutrition habits.  The part I like about waves of sound nutrition is that each time, a few more favorites fit into my overall repertoire.  Almond meal pancakes are one of those additions.  No matter how decadent my habits are at any time, pulling this recipe out always makes me feel like royalty.  It is so very tasty. (And so very good for you.)

Some notes regarding this recipe:
-          Sometimes I buy prepared almond meal.  More often, in an attempt to be frugal, I make my own.  To do so, whir blanched almonds with an immersion blender. (Or blender-blender.)  Enjoy cleaning up the mess. J  The finished product is nice either way.  With prepared almond meal, it tastes more like normal pancakes.  With home-made meal, it has bits of larger almonds that make it more rustic.

-          I don’t always add the full amount of sweetener.  And I always use honey as sweetener.  You can reduce the amount you need by adding large amounts of cinnamon. (Start at 2 tbsp and go up from there.)

-          The original recipe called for ¼ tsp salt.  I found that way too much.  You may find that you want to use the full amount.
Without any further ado:

Almond Meal Pancakes With Cherry Coulis
1 cup almond meal
2 eggs
¼ cup water
2 tbsp oil
2-3 shakes of salt
1 tbsp sweetener
2 tbsp cinnamon

Mix ingredients together and cook, by ¼ cup of batter, as regular pancakes.
This makes 6 pancakes.

Cherry Coulis
1 cup frozen tart cherries
2 tbsp honey
¼ cup water

Place all ingredients in saucepan.  When cherries are starting to soften, whirr with immersion blender.  Bring to a simmer, and reduce sauce – about 10 minutes.
Serve 2 tbsp over each pancake.  A dash of coconut milk is a nice addition.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home