Sunday, September 28, 2014

Green Tomato Relish

Green tomato relish. That’s the one. That’s the one from my childhood. That’s the one I remember most. I remember how strong the vinegar was – how it took away my breath. How delicious I knew it was going to be when it was done. If left to my own devices, I’d have had an entire jar to myself at meals.

This is the first attempt at relish.  I’m going to give it an 80% success! Points detracted for not having any clue on how many jars I would need. (I.e – Way way  more!) More detracted for pulling another trick from my childhood – touching the burner to see if it was hot.  The rest of it, though? As tasty as I remember it.
Please enjoy mom’s Green Tomato Relish.  (When she gave me the recipe, she wrote: “my notes say I first made it in 1970 and rated it GOOD”. Who doesn’t love a recipe book with notes. :-D)

Green Tomato Relish
20 green tomatoes
8 granny smith apples (peeled)
4 onions
1 red pepper
Put all through food processor.

Add into a HUGE pot containing the following:
5 cups sugar
3 cups vinegar
1 tsp. cinnamon
3 tbs. salt
1 tsp cloves.

Boil 20 minutes and process, as you do, in a boiling water bath for 30 minutes.

(As you do: sterilize jars, lids and floppy tin top things. Pour into jars, being careful to maintain sterilized status.)
Oh – and another note – you may already know, onions are the enemy.  The original recipe calls for 8 onions. I reduced it. The original recipe doesn’t call for red peppers. I’ll keep them in.

Makes  18 ½ pints.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home